I just finished up the website for one of my bands, orange is in, and I’m pretty proud of the results.
It took just about a week to complete and I’m very happy with it. I think it looks really good and I’m really pleased with some of the features I added.
I was able to modify a news module – the same one I use to post these stories on this site – to display headlines on the front of the site, which is great. I also was able to incorporate the email signup on virtually every page.
I still need to modify the photo gallery to at least have the same colors at the site. I probably won’t be able to fit it into the basic site template, but I can at least get the backgrounds and tables to match colors.
The cool thing was that I was able to actually go into the PHP code and make modifications to customize it for the site, something I’d never done before. Cool.
The band still wants some kind of guestbook, so I guess I’ll find one of those online. I also need to get some decent MP3’s for uploading and we’ve decided that we are going to give people who sign up to our mailing list access to a special folder on the site that will contain MP3’s of live shows and rehearsals, something other visitors won’t be able to hear.
I’ll get that set up in a couple days and we should be good to go.
I’m going to do Slapshifter next and, I’ll admit, I don’t think the design will be quite as easy. With orange is in, almost everything was based off of the photo on the front page. Slapshifter needs more of a live feel and that means a little more graphically dense, something that isn’t my total forte.
We’ll see how it goes.