When I was a kid, I used to love how it would get dark later during the summer meaning more time to goof off outside with my friends. Now, I just find it to be an annoyance, particularly the loss of that hour when we have to spring forward.
There are a few reasons I really hate daylight savings time. Let me list a few…
1. Losing an hour of sleep. That was particularly tough after the long weekend of travel I had.
2. Changing all the damn clocks. What a pain in the ass.
3. It makes everyone cranky. I’ve talked to more people this year pissed about springing forward.
4. It serves no purpose. It used to be done for farmers to have extra hours of daylight in the evening. Personally, I wish the whole country would go Arizona and drop the stupid time change.
5. Dusk shouldn’t be at 7:30pm. Dusk is one of my favorite times of day. It is this wonderful time of transition from the day to the night. On the weekends, this is the time to clean up and get changed to go do something fun or just to relax on your couch. By 7:30 or 8, it is too late for that, so you run around when it is still hot outside.
6. Speaking of heat, it stays hotter later. The mornings are invariably cool because the night time cooled the air down. But evening air is still warm and sticky, particularly in Houston, so it just means a couple more hours of afternoon heat.
7. Waking up when it is still dark blows. I don’t normally get up before about 7:30, but I do wake up before that on occassion and I hate getting up to darkness. It makes me just want to sleep more.
8. We just have to change it right back in the fall.
In short, DST is lame and I hate it. Thank you.