Update on TheFuzzball

Some of you will read this and go WTF? If you don’t know what I’m talking about, just move along.

For those who know Tracy (aka @TheFuzzball on Twitter), you may or may not know she has been in the hospital since Sunday night suffering from a very serious ear infection that spread into the soft tissue of her face (more on that here from Torrie).

When she went to the ER, the doctors were VERY concerned that the infection could spread even further and the proximity of your brain to your ear makes this a very serious situation.

On Monday, the combination of anti-biotics being used wasn’t really doing the job, so they went to a very powerful “last resort” medication that caused a reaction and gave Tracy hives. At this point, the infection had also spread to her lymph nodes. Doctors told her that if she had let this infection go any further, she probably would not have survived.

Fortunately, she appears to have been in very good hands at the hospital and since Monday. She had a pretty rough day yesterday and the experiences has been pretty scary for her, but she sounded very good on the phone today when I spoke with her.

Her mom and her sister, Lindsay, have been with her most of the time and she is going home tomorrow outfitted with a port where she can take IV anti-biotics for a while longer to make sure the infection doesn’t return.

Needless to say, she is very happy with all the well-wishes. I read off the list of people who had sent her kind words on Twitter and she seemed really happy about that. She also was very thankful for those who have sent things to her at the hospital, but you probably shouldn’t send anything else up there if you were planning on it since she is going home tomorrow.

She’ll probably be down for a little while, but I have no doubt she’ll be back to her usual, hilarious self in no time.

15 Replies to “Update on TheFuzzball”

1. K
    February 18, 2009 at 5:35 pm

YOU ROCK. Thanks so much for the update. Such good news! Yay Tracy!

2. Sonia
    February 18, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Thanks for the update! She’s been in my thoughts so much
    since I’ve found out. Glad to know she’ll be home soon.

3. February 18, 2009 at 5:57 pm

Hey, Jeff, thanks so much for the update on Tracy. I missed most of the talk on Twitter and didn’t hear about the severity of her illness until this afternoon. Please add me to the list of friends worried about her and hoping for the best. Tell her I know that Starbuck will kick this thing’s ass.

4. February 18, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Thanks for the update Jeff! Tracy we love you and are thinking of you! Get well soon!

5. February 18, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Good job – thanks for the update! Super relieved to hear she is getting better and is headed home soon.

6. Mandy
    February 18, 2009 at 7:24 pm

Thanks for the update, Jeff and my thoughts [@favouritethings] are will her too. The world’s just seemed a it quieter without her laugh.

7. February 18, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Thank you Jeff.

GETWELLSOONTRACYK?THXBAI!

8. jessi
    February 18, 2009 at 7:49 pm

Oh, I am so happy to read this! Thanks for sharing the info… I’ve been worried about her!

That’s really the worst part about knowing someone online… You have no idea what’s going on when they’re not online.

9. AbbyNormal
    February 18, 2009 at 8:21 pm

Thanks for the update, Jeff! We’ve all been so worried about her!! I think everybody was torn between trying to decide if we should call/DM or just search for news so she could rest.
    She’s a redhead, she’ll bounce back to her usual ball of fire in no time flat! Give her all our love and warm fuzzy vibes! xoxo, Angela

10. February 18, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Thanks, Jeff! I’ve been off Twitter this week and didn’t realize the seriousness of her situation, so a BIG BIG thank you for getting me up to speed on this. What a sweet friend you are. And her too!

11. arthur
    February 18, 2009 at 8:39 pm

thanks jeff. can’t wait to have tracy back.

12. Jamie
    February 18, 2009 at 8:58 pm

Awwww! Tracy!! Wow, how scary. Thanks so much for the update! Get well soon Tracy.

13. February 18, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Oh my gosh!!!!! I didn’t know what you were talking about, but it happens that I’m not very good at following instructions, so I didn’t just move along and YIKES!!! I guess it only stand to reason, but I just had no idea ear infections could be that serious! Glad she’s doing so much better.

14. herb
    February 18, 2009 at 10:25 pm

thanks jeff for the update. a big hug to you tracy – get well soon!

15. February 19, 2009 at 8:14 am

HUGS to you lovely Tracy – can’t wait to see your awesome self back in all of your wicked coolness 🙂 xo

(Thanks Jeff – you totally rock)